...



Tuesday, July 3, 2007

My Friday post on Tuesday

I tried all day Friday to get into Blogger...and wasn't. I was able to log in today though, so I'm posting my Friday post today.

As some of you know, aside from writing and being a publisher, I’m also a cover artist. Since I’ve no new releases of my own this week, I thought I would show off two covers I did for Cobblestone Press.

Bawdy Talk
Ann Cory
Genre: Contemporary
Release Date: June 29, 2007

On a dare to put a face to the sexy voice of DJ Zeus, God of Radio, Destry Forrester goes to the radio station, and leaves a lasting impression. Unfortunately their private get together doesn’t stay so private when it’s broadcasted on air for everyone to hear.


Dominant Territory
Cora Zane
Genre: Shifter
Release Date: June 29, 2007

Drake never considered taking a human for a mate…at least until Libby shows up at the Moonlight Run. One look at the ice blonde angel and his dominant instincts come to life. He wants her desperately… And now that she's in his territory, nothing will stop him from claiming her.

Model for this cover is Cobblestone Press model, Andrei Claude


I worked hard on both covers and happy with they both turned out. My goal when creating a cover is to match the book’s feel and story, present something classy that the author doesn’t have to be ashamed to show his or her grandmother, and to design the author something that he or she can be proud of.

This brings me to the question: Does Cover Art Sell Books?

While there are a few that proclaim to buy a book based on a cover –for the most part, the answer to this question is no. If this were not true, I know a few publishers that would never sell ANY books.

The cover of a book is marketing. That is all. It’s the packaging…the first thing someone sees when going to purchase books. While it will draw attention and make the reader take interest, it is the story that in the end SELLS the book. I’ve seen books with complete garbage for covers and they sell like hotcakes because the author writes a story that is exactly what the readers want. I’ve seen books with the most beautiful covers I’ve ever seen and that book doesn’t sell anything.

Also, if an author works her butt off, the AUTHOR name can sell a book. Once an author builds up a reputation, it doesn’t matter how ugly of a cover they have, that book will sell because of who the author is.

But to get to that point, the author must market herself. She must discover first what readers want to read, deliver, make appearances where readers will be (online this is chats, yahoo groups, and reader forums) and make the readers like them and let them know she has books available about what they want to read.

So, the author sells the book, the cover just makes it look pretty. :D

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaynie said...

I think for big name authors, their covers could suck and it totally wouldn't make a difference. Give me a white cover with "Nora Roberts writing as JD Robb - Eve book #35" - and I'd pick it up and buy it without a thought.

For newbies - it can make or break. I've seen some hideous covers where I just giggled and didn't go near the book, and yet I've seen some fabulous ones that I've picked up to read the blurb.

I never buy book soley based on it's cover though - but I know some people do.

July 3, 2007 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Sable Grey said...

Exactly. The cover is marketing...it should make the reader want to pick the book up and turn it over.

I would imagine people who buy a book based on the cover are usually disappointed - because your really can't judge a book by its cover.

July 13, 2007 at 2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home