...



Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Writing Challenges & Motivation

So, this week I'm taking part in the latest Cobblestone Main Street BIAW challenge. The aim is to write a 20k story in a week. Oh, and there's a theme too. It's Ships In the Night. Sounds intriguing, doesn't it? You should pop in and check out the poem. :)

I really enjoy taking part in these. Deanna does a great job coming up with new BIAW/BIAM themes and times.

Personally, I think it's great. To write a story, at the same time as other writers, is a really fun thing to do. We check in every day and leave the total word count, and cheer each other on. I think it's a great motivational tool. Though motivation is one of my stronger points anyway. ;)

Then why do I take part in these challenges? Because I think they're fun, and it gives me the opportunity to write a story that might otherwise be waiting in the back of my mind because other ones have clawed their way to the front. Besides, I really like the group dynamic that is formed while we're all writing away on our individual stories.

At the moment, I don't have a title. Or a blurb. But I am into the full swing of the story. I know what's going to happen when I sit down to write today, and the ending popped into my head yesterday. Now, it's just a matter of writing what's in between.

My current word count is: 9,830/20,000. Today I'm hoping to cross the 10k mark.

Do you enjoy these challenges? Have you taken part in them or anything similar before, or do you manage to get writing done without them?

Which reminds me... I better get back to it now.


Yolanda
http://www.yolandasfetsos.com/

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Desirée Lee said...

20K in a week? Yes, it can certainly be done! I did a 17k novella in a weekend once myself. Good luck to you with this Yolanda! I haven't yet participated in these type of challenges, but I certainly admire those who can buckle down and do it!

--Des

July 11, 2007 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Thanks Des! 17k in one weekend is awesome! These challenges are a lot of fun. :D

July 12, 2007 at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home