...



Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Revision & My New Cover

So, as I posted last week, I took part in the Cobblestone Main Street BIAW and got the first draft of my Vampire Oracle DEATH novella completed on Saturday. Yay. I'm very excited about that, but now I've put it aside for a few weeks.

This got me thinking about the revision process. Personally, I like to get the first draft out of my head really quickly. The world and characters are usually in a rush to get out. The more I write and take notes on the side, the better everything comes together. So I like to take advantage of that.
But when it comes to revision, it's a whole different story.

I like to do three drafts in total, before I consider it done. Nowadays I think most could really do with two, but I'm a double-checker and refuse to send anything out on its merry way unless I've done three. Maybe that will change someday, but for the moment it's how I do things. :)

Usually a few weeks away from a novella is enough, a month or two from novels. But the particular novella I'm working on now is a Sci-Fi that I wrote way back in January. Why did I leave it so long? I couldn't pinpoint why. Then again, I did complete the second draft a few months ago and decided it needed a little more work before I could call it done. Was that what was keeping me from it? Because really, I'm now 85 pages in and am really enjoying it. So what was the prob? You know, I can't really say. I can be a little weird like that I guess.

Anyway, this is the week. I intend to get it done by Friday, and start looking for a home too. Lol.

Okay, enough about all that writer weirdness. If you want to read more about it, check out my blog for the daily ramblings. ;)

Would you like to see my newest cover? This one's my Halloween tale. It'll be released by Cobblestone Press on October 19, as part of Octoberfest. Yay. I can't wait.

Well, here it is:

Matt knows the things that lurk in the dark are very much real and always a threat. But it was a human bullet that stole his chance at happiness.Alana is willing to do whatever it takes to save Matt’s life before Halloween night is over…

Isn't it beautiful? It was made by Tuesday Dube. I absolutely love it! It not only looks gorgeous, but it captures the heart and soul of the story. I'm very excited about this cover and the story, too.

So tell me, what's your revision process? Do you write a slow first draft and revise as you go? Or do you write the first draft like a crazy person (ie, like me) and then do one or more drafts before you consider it done? Let me know. I love to find out how other writers do things.


Yolanda
http://www.yolandasfetsos.com/

Click to read sneak peek:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Read Interview in CPQ Magazine

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Emma Petersen said...

Ooooh revision process. Wow. I dont think I have one. I know I had to go through and totally rework my latest, Danielo's Undoing. I actually cut 4k out of that story and really didnt think I'd finish writing it. It was pure stubborness that got me through.

Congrats on the new cover. It's purtiful! Tuesday did a wonderful job.

September 13, 2007 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger Ericka Scott said...

I write like a crazy person -- especially if the story is pretty much full-formed in my head. Like you...it's in a rush to get out.

And the three revisions works for me too...the second one is where I layer in symbolism, foreshadowing, beef up characterization, etc. I usually add 1000s of words at this point.

Then comes the hard part. Hacking out all the repetition, as well as the "that, Ands, Buts, And then, Then," that I sprinkle in my first draft.

THEN it goes to the proofreader (my hubby currently, but with his work ramping up, I may be looking for someone to fill his slot -- he never finished Fool's Gold and I had to submit it without his seal of approval)

September 13, 2007 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Hey Emma! Thanks for sharing. Danielo's Undoing will be released the same day as Alana Blues, I think. I'm totally intrigued by it :) Don't know what it's about, but the name's got me thinking. ;)

Congrats on reworking it, btw. It's an awesome feeling, isn't it?



Ericka! We've got the same craziness + three draft thing going. Lol. Sometimes I laugh at how similar our writing procedure seems to be. :)

And OMG, I've been having the same thing happening with my hubby. He works so much nowadays that by the time he gets home, the last thing he wants/needs to do is sit with the lappy and proofread my stuff. Lol. Damn day jobs! :/

September 13, 2007 at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home