...



Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Addicted to Reality TV

I am one tired author today, after staying up past my bedtime...to watch which ladies didn't get roses on last night's episode of The Bachelor.

I can't explain my fascination with the show. It's cheesy, melodramatic, and full of blubbering (intoxicated?) women who think they're in love with a guy after a couple of group dates and some groping in a pool. I must tune in each week and see what happens next.

I have my favorite bachelorettes and the ones I'd like to smack. I watch the Bachelor closely, noting his reaction to each girl. This season, I think he's already made his choice, after only a couple of weeks. We'll see if I'm right.

What do I think is the attraction? What makes women (and men?) like me tune in each week, even though there's yet to be a Bachelor who's married the "true love" he found on the show? It's the drama, the conflict, the guessing, and the huge stakes the guys put on the whole thing. They don't go into this saying they want to find a woman for a casual relationship (which is often what they end up with after the last show is taped). No, they're there to "find a wife." Huge stakes--being married to a Navy surgeon/millionaire entrepreneur/prince/whatever. Which brings out the best--and worst--in the women.

I found myself explaining why I watch the show to my hubby last night (of course, he doesn't share my enthusiasm), and I explained to him that the show was much like reading a romance novel. I'm sitting in on the Bachelor's dates, watching, rooting for the girl who seems to be there for the "right" reasons, and sharing those intimate, special moments.

Am I the only one who sees it like this?

Anyone else want to share some insight? Tell me I'm crazy? LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home