...



Tuesday, November 13, 2007

An Informal Survey

Today I’m starting a new story. Whoo hooo! Beginning a new book is a thrilling challenge. There’s a new set of characters to meet, a new story to discover.

Every author has his or her unique system for starting a new project. But for me, I start with a title and a synopsis. Why? Because the title sets the tone for the story. And the synopsis gives me a rough framework to build upon as I write.

So what is this survey I was talking about? It’s regarding titles. Lately, it seems that cute titles like clever twists on common expressions or clichés are pretty much out... and sexy, grittier titles are all the rage.

Opinions anyone? I’d be so grateful if you’d give me examples of your favorites (or least favorites) in the comments. I need inspiration. A good title can make a HUGE difference in the success of a story.

Tawny

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Vampilicious Erotic Romance

5 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Peregrine said...

Well you are looking at the guy who came up with the silliest play-on-words title: Fiends With Benefits! My opinion: As I scan title I at least want a little indicator of the type of story. Other than that I don't care if it is silly or gritty just as long as it fits the story.

November 13, 2007 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Tawny Taylor said...

Your title is very clever, Johnny. I loved it. I hope it helps you sell lots of books.

Another author recently had a clever twist kind of title: Between a Rock and a Hard-on. LOL Very memorable. But many of my fun titles have been slower sellers for some reason. With the exception of one: Dragons and Dungeons. That book sold very well and I attribute the sales to the title and maybe the blurb. The cover wasn't one of my favorites.

Thanks for dropping by and giving your opinion.

November 13, 2007 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Scott/MK Mancos said...

It all depends for me. I agree the title has to set the tone. If I have a book that leans more towards romantic comedy a play on words might be appropriate. Darker books I want something not so light. Point in fact: When I started shopping around my Jan. Samhain release, I changed the name from Fangdango: Dance of Death to The Host: Shadows. I liked Fangdango, but my characters are pseduo vampires, (made through the process of alchemical experiments gone afoul where an entity attaches itself to the host's soul) - There is nothing light or funny in this story. It's dark, gritty and needed a title that didn't sound so playful. Most of the time I like a title that can encapsulate the entire plot in one or a few words - and sound intriguing at the same time. Usually, I'm pretty good with titles. But I'm not afraid to ask friends for help if I think mine have come out sounding like suckorama.

-Kat

November 13, 2007 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Sara Thacker said...

I like gritty titles for gritty books. If it's a chick lit then something funny is nice. But for dark books, I like to have the title be dark.

November 13, 2007 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Kristen Painter said...

Titles rarely stick with me. I mean, I remember my own, but not always the books I read. I love coming up with them though!

I don't know that I've had "favorites" but I can tell you I don't like the super generic titles that seem like they could belong to one of 100 books. I like a title with personality!

November 13, 2007 at 3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home