...



Wednesday, November 7, 2007

NaNoWriMo & First Drafts

So, who's taking part in NaNo this year?

As I've already mentioned, I am. And although I took one day off this week and don't write over the weekend, I'm still making some very cool progress on my novel.

As of this morning, this is how my progress bar looks:

I'd like to crack the 20k mark sometime today and get as close as I can to 30k by tomorrow afternoon. But one thing that's been happening with this novel, that usually doesn't happen, is that I keep going back to re-read the last chapter I wrote before getting started on each day's session. I don't usually do that.

The way I write my first drafts is to get started, stuck into it and then just keep on writing until I get to the end. But this time, there are several details that need to stay constant within the tale, and so I keep going back and then keep on writing. I think this slows down the total output a little but will end up saving time during revision.

Still, every story's different, isn't it? The one constant thing is that I'm completely lost in this novel and the characters. They consume my mind, I'm constantly listening to the Playlist, and keep doing bits and pieces of research as I move along.

I'm having a lot of fun with this story, and I can't wait to see how it all works out.

So, tell me: do you write the entire first draft and then worry about revision after it's completely done? Or do you like to edit as you go?

No matter how you write, have fun!

Yolanda
http://www.yolandasfetsos.com/

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen Erickson said...

I edit as I go. I find I have to get back into the mood/tone of the book. I lose that if I start cold.

I'm not NaNo'ing but I am sweating with Sven and he's helped so much! So keep on keepin' on Y! You're doing great. :)

November 7, 2007 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Oh, that's interesting. Karen, thanks for sharing how you work the drafts. ;)

Thanks! I'm really enjoying NaNo. It's a huge challenge, but this story's really speaking to me. So that's cool.

Good luck with Sven. :)

November 7, 2007 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Cassandra Moore said...

It depends on the story, for me. I often go back and read the last chapter to get back into the "feel" of the story, or to get a look at it and tweak one or two things before going on. This one, though, I'm pretty much just chugging away on, straight through. I'd be lost without my story database, though.

I'm not doing NaNo, but I'm still working like a fiend!

November 7, 2007 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Thanks for sharing, Cassandra! And I know what you mean. Sometimes you just gotta go back and read that last written chapter. ;)

November 8, 2007 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Leila Brown said...

I'm more of a puke the whole thing out. Then read through and edit.

I tried to edit as I wrote and those projects never seemed to get finished...go figure. :D

Leila

November 9, 2007 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

LOL Leila, thanks for sharing. :)

I'm usually like that too. I like to get the story out and then deal with revision later. But this time, it's going a little different. :/

November 9, 2007 at 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home