...



Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Fave Holiday Traditions

The holidays are coming so quickly. Can you believe it's December already? And Christmas is only three weeks away?! I can't resist the temptation to blog about them today.

Every year, about a week before Christmas, I get out the baking gear, cookie cutters and (most importantly) plastic drop cloths.

Why, you ask, would I need drop cloths to bake?

Because it’s cookie time. My favorite tradition of the holidays. It started when I was a little girl. My mother baked stacks of holiday sugar cookies and then set out bowls of colored frosting, sprinkles, little candies, etc and we spent the day “decorating” the cookies.

Naturally, I’ve adapted the tradition to my taste. The cutout cookies aren’t sugar, but chocolate (a recipe that incorporates chocolate pudding is always a winner in my book). And I offer the kiddies chocolate and vanilla frosting, mini M&M’s, shredded coconut, colored sugars and chocolate chips for decorating. It’s a HUGE mess but oh so worth it. The kids are busy for hours, and I have the most sinful, delectable cookies to eat for the next week. YUM!

What about your family? Do you have any special holiday traditions you have (or will) passed on to your kids?

Tawny
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
www.tawnytaylor.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen Erickson said...

We bake cookies too. I used to bake sugar cookies with my grandma so I've carried on the tradition. Yes I agree it's such a mess! But a lot of fun and the kids are so happy to be elbow deep in frosting and sprinkles. We end up with some deeeeee-lish cookies too. ;)

December 4, 2007 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Tawny Taylor said...

So I'm not the only one brave enough to set her kids loose, armed with frosting and sprinkles? LOL

Our cookies usually end up a mess, piled three inches high with "decorations" but they taste soooooo good. Yummy!

December 4, 2007 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Cathy M said...

One of my favorite holiday traditions is driving thru the neighborhood to check out all the decorations, then heading back to the house for cookies and the movie The Christmas Story.

December 5, 2007 at 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home