...



Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day & My Latest Release

Hey! How's everyone doing today? Firstly, I just wanted to say: HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! Yay. I hope you all have a terrific day filled with love. Although, personally, I don't think we need to celebrate love one time a year... more like every single day! ;)

Anyway. Technically, it's not V-Day yet in the U.S. but you know I'm a day ahead, right?

Today, I'm going to share a little excerpt from my novella, VALENTINE'S BEAST:

Prologue

Valentine’s Day

If I’d known then, what I know now, I would’ve stayed away from him. I should’ve stayed away. I’m just a sucker for the possibility of romance. I got swept away.

We’d known each other for so long I was sure we were meant to be. Even now, as my gaze searched his in this uncomfortable predicament, I wasn’t entirely sure Damien was against me. That he actually believed the crap these other psychos were convinced lay waiting in my destiny.

I don’t believe in destiny or fate, or anything as ridiculous as a pre-planned life when a person is born. I think you make your bed and lie in it, which says a lot about my situation.

The metal restraints clasped around my wrists and ankles cut painfully into my skin. I felt like some kind of martyr, meant to be the scapegoat of a fictional Beast.

Yes, that’s right. These morons think I’m The Beast. The Antichrist! Can you believe it?

“Don’t look at him, you beast!” The hooded man at the front prodded me with a stick. Their brown-hooded cloaks made them look like some ancient, religious order. If anyone looked like the bad guys here, it was definitely them. Not poor defenseless me, tied up like a piece of meat on offer to King Kong.

“Please, just let me go. I’m not who you think I am!” It was worth a shot. After all, it was Valentine’s Day. There had to be some sort of law made by Cupid, against this type of treatment of a woman on the day of love.

A soft chant ignited within the circle they’d formed around me, and it wasn’t to serenade me. I didn’t understand the screechy, evil-sounding language.

“You are The Beast, and we shall soon prove it. Then kill you before you get the chance to carry out your evil plan with the second beast.” The man retracted the stick in his hand long enough to dip it into the fire burning in the corner of the room.

Damn, that wasn’t a stick. It was a poker! I hope he wasn’t planning on using that thing on me. In response, I curled my hands into fists so they couldn’t see my palms. There was no point in aggravating the situation any further, and if they got a glimpse of my left palm, that’s exactly what would happen.

Before I could respond or try to avoid it, the poker connected with my hip. Pain tore along my flesh and spiked below my skin. I fought to stay conscious, afraid of what they’d do to me if I was unconscious… but the pain was too much to take.

I involuntarily closed my eyes to face the darkness, which was more welcoming than these delusional men. I just had to have faith in him.

Damien knew me, unlike the others in this dungeon. He would save me, I knew he would.

---

VALENTINE'S BEAST will be available from Cobblestone Press tomorrow! I'll also be attending the chat, so pop in and say HI!

Have an awesome week!

Yolanda
http://www.yolandasfetsos.com/

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Kafka said...

Awesome excerpt. Love the wolf at the top of the page. Wolves are my favourite animals.

February 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Thanks Michelle! :)

February 15, 2008 at 3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home