...



Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Music & Writing

So, when I embark on the journey that is writing a novel, I like to put a Playlist together. Now, the songs I choose need to have something to do with the story. Sometimes it's about the same subject matter. Other times it just suits the mood and atmosphere of the writing.

But it always has to fit. And the sequence of the songs says a bit about the way the story's going to go. I know, it sounds very thorough, but it's how I like to work. :)

So, this week I thought I'd post my current Playlist. This novel's a dark, moody one. Very gloomy and filled with action and bad things. I'm having a blast with it. I've now passed the 60k mark, so the end is nearing... but will still take a while to get there. Hell, I don't mind. It's fun!

Anyway, here's the Playlist:

IRIS: Goo Goo Dolls
SAVIOR: 30 Seconds to Mars
IN PIECES: Linkin Park
THE SHARPEST LIVES: My Chemical Romance
HUNTER: 30 Seconds to Mars
THE KILL: 30 Seconds to Mars
EVEN FLOW: Pearl Jam
OBLIVION: 30 Seconds to Mars
BONES: The Killers
THE FANTASY: 30 Seconds to Mars
BURN: The Cure
THE STORY: 30 Seconds to Mars
EVERY LITTLE THING SHE DOES IS MAGIC: The Police
IF YOU'RE GONE: Matchbox 20
BATTLE OF ONE: 30 Seconds to Mars
MISERY: Good Charlotte
ECHELON: 30 Seconds to Mars
BETTER THAN ME: Hinder
STAY WITH YOU: Goo Goo Dolls
ATTACK: 30 Seconds to Mars
APOLOGIZE: Timbaland feat. One Republic
FAMOUS LAST WORDS: My Chemical Romance
END OF THE BEGINNING: 30 Seconds to Mars

This is an awesome mix of wonderful songs. Having it in the background every time I sit down to write has helped me heaps. I love every single one of these songs. I find music very inspirational.

So, what song gets your creative juices flowing? Anything by 30STM, MCR and LP is sure to get my muse's attention. ;)

Yolanda
http://www.yolandasfetsos.com/

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ericka Scott said...

I've heard that having a playlist helps when you get the edits back...what do you think?

I've tried writing to music...it doesn't work for me. I end up singing along or typing the words to the song...

I guess the theme for my writing is The Sound of Silence!

February 21, 2008 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Hey Ericka! Music can be distracting, and I can only write to a certain style of music. Mostly rock/alternative stuff. Lol.

As far as the edits go, I'm not sure. When I revise/edit, I like to have silence. Then, it becomes distracting. But during the first draft, when the bulk of the story is just pouring out of me, it's really cool. :D

Thanks for sharing.

February 21, 2008 at 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home