...



Monday, February 18, 2008

Not-So-Dark Diva by Natasha Moore

Thanks to Emma Petersen for inviting me to guest blog today with the Divas of the Dark. There are some mighty talented writers here and I’m happy to be in their midst, at least for the space of one blog post.

That said, I don’t write dark. Never have and believe me, I’ve really tried. I love to read those darkly atmospheric stories with heroes that the heroine can’t quite trust…okay, maybe with her body, but not with her heart. At least not until he’s gone through hell and back to prove himself.

But as soon as I try to write dark, the heroine starts coming out with these snappy one liners and soon there’s a sexy banter going on between my hero and heroine that has nothing to do with the dark. Oh well. So even if I manage to slip some dark atmosphere into some of my stories, you’ll probably see a lot of humor too.




My current release, Quinn’s Curse from eRed Sage, is my first paranormal. The darkest I get is in the first chapter, when my self-centered bad boy pirate drowns during a shipwreck and is cursed to haunt a rocky point on the coast of Maine. The chapter ends like this:

“Then Quinn found himself washed up on the shore. It was an eerie feeling to look down and see his body bloated and broken on the sharp rocks. Several other seamen’s bodies had washed up as well, mixed up with the debris of seaweed, shattered bottles, and pieces of timber.
Quinn stood beside his broken body and knew his time in hell had begun.”

Up until Quinn’s Curse, I’d only written contemporary stories and I really enjoy writing them. I love the idea that this love story could really happen. All right, could really happen to me. But I’ve developed a love for the paranormal. There are so many plot situations that just wouldn’t be possible in a straight contemporary romance. For instance, I love my ghost hero, Quinn. In my contemporary romances, I could never have an invisible hero making love to my heroine, convincing her that it’s all a dream. It’s one of my favorite love scenes ever.

So I’m willing to bet you can look for more paranormal stories from me in the future. I can’t guarantee how dark they’ll be, but, then again…you never know!

Natasha Moore
Romance with more…sizzle
www.natashamoore.com
http://natasha-moore.blogspot.com

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

I'm with you! Not really dark, but dabble every now and then. What a great premise! Good luck with your release and here's to wishing you many sales!

February 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger Emma Petersen said...

Welcome to Divas Natasha! *waves*

I write dark. Even when I don't want to some kind of way it ends up dark. Hehe. Le sigh. It might just be me.

Happy sails! I love pirate stories and Shell's right, this is an awesome premise.

February 18, 2008 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Jackie Barbosa said...

I think the premise of your story sounds great, Natasha. Like you and Shell, I'm not "dark" and I've never tried writing paranormal, but maybe someday! I swore I'd never write contemporary and then I did, so never say never.

Good luck with the book!

February 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Natasha Moore said...

Shelli, thanks for the good wishes.

Emma, thanks for the invite. i had a lot of fun writing this story.

Jackie, never say never :)

February 18, 2008 at 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home