...



Monday, March 17, 2008

I’m a Dreamer by Sasha White

A note from Divas of the Dark: All this week 3/17 to midnight 3/23, leave a comment in any of the posts and you'll be entered to win a $15 gift cerificate to Amazon.com. Happy commenting! Winner will be announced Monday 3/24!


I’m a dreamer … and I thank God every day for giving me a mother who instilled me with the belief that I could do anything if I set my mind to it, and then encouraged me to follow my dreams.

Not everybody had that.

As a waitress I get to meet people from all walks of life, and I’m always somewhat shocked when I meet someone who clearly has a passion for something, yet they brush aside that passion because “It’s not practical.” Or “I could never make a living at it.” I just don’t understand why they don’t go after the life they want.

I think that can lead to a very boring life. And really who wants boring? Okay, so not all of us dream about an Alpha were-wolf who’ll call me his and growl with lust when I walk into the room, but hey,.. At least I keno which dreams I can chase and which ones I can well…write about.

Not that I write about were-wolves. I do write about people chasing their dreams though. Leaving a crummy job behind, or a small town, or a bad relationship and going after what they really want. I think it’s a great theme to have in stories. I wish my mind worked in a way that my dreams of were-wolf dream man could come out by my fingertips, but my brain doesn’t work that way.

I do have a paranormal book out right now though, and it’s called SEXY DEVIL. No werewolves, just gypsies, a demon, and a few psychics – and a couple of hot sexy men. A heroine who chases her dream man, and a hero who chases the dream of love and acceptance for the real him.

My point? I’ve gone after many of my own dreams, I’ve traveled the world, climbed mountains in Nepal, been on safari in Africa (as well as lived on the beach and swam with wild dolphins) and several pub crawls in Ireland. Those are just a few of the dreams I’ve had, and succeeded in living. Another one is writing a novel (and I want to thank all the readers or romance, especially erotic romance, for going out there and buying books. Without you, I’d not be able to continue to live one of my dreams.)

I can’t really have my dream of finding an Alpha were wolf to love me and call me his, except in books. (And I do so regularly.) In all honesty, it doesn’t matter if he’s a were-wolf or not, I fall in love with the heroes who are heroes… the ones who end up doing things they don’t really want to, but feel they need to – especially if it’s to protect or to make happy, the heroine. After 19 years of bartending, I’ve seen heroes, and some very non–hero’s…but that didn't stop me from chasing the dream of finding one of my own.

What about you? What dream do you chase? In real life and in books?

Sasha White
www.sashawhite.net
www.sashawhite.net/blog
Latest release: Wicked (Karl's story)

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Emma Petersen said...

Great post Sasha! It takes a lot of courage to follow your dreams, especially when other people may think they're impratical.

My dream is pack up Toussaint and His Nemesis and go to England for a year. Hehe. But since they would have to stay in quarentine for 6 months I don't see that happening. So I'll have to settle for a week. :D

Thanks for blogging with us Sasha! You rock. And seriously, if you wrote a werewolf story, I'd be first in line to read it.

March 17, 2008 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Savanna Kougar said...

Sasha, beautiful post. I've gone after my dreams for my entire life. Lest one believe it's easy, not so in my case. Not at all. I can look in the mirror and know I never failed to follow my dreams to the best of my ability. That is my truth.
I can look out at others and wish we all lived our passions, our dreams. For, it would benefit everyone in a universal sense
Currently, I am living my dream as a new author. And damn it, I like it.

March 17, 2008 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Cathy M said...

So glad you chased your dreams, so that we get to enjoy books like Sexy Devil. I was lucky to fall both into a marriage and a job that I loved, and as a parent, I always told my boys that they should find their passion in life and do whatever it took to make that life happen.

March 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Sasha White said...

Thanks Emma. Your dream sounds intriguing. A week might be long enough. LOL

I should mention I'm writing PRIMAL MALE right now, the sequel to SEXY DEVIL, and there is a shape-shifter in it. LOL I swear, it's killing me too. I've realized as much as I love reading paranormals, it's not my favorite genre to write.

Savanna, I have a calendar page I ripped out and stuck on my posterwall even after the calendar expired. it says..

EFFORT: Some people dream of worthy acomplishments while others stay awake and accomplish them."

To me, it's not even accomplishing them that is great, it'a attempting them. Good for you.

March 17, 2008 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Sasha White said...

Cathy, encouraging your children to follow their hearts is the best thing you could ever do. I firmly believe that!

March 17, 2008 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I am following one of my dreams right now. I gave up a solid job to go back to grad school -- again! Lots of people didn't understand my decision, especially because I'm studying at a non-traditional university. But, for a lot of reasons, it was the best decision for me at the time.

Thanks for reminding me I am living one of my dreams. For a few moments today, I forgot.

March 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger kim h said...

greata interview. it is great to follow yoru dreams, i get that from my family
kim h

March 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Sasha White said...

Anna, it's easy to forget when things start to pile up on us. Glad I could help remind you.

Kim, family is a great dream, and one of the hardest to keep together. Congratulations.

March 17, 2008 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger Musings by Mimmi said...

Great blog, Sasha. And I think it takes someone really special and brave to follow your dreams like that...I dream of one day owning my own book store, and having the financial freedom to run it full time...and of course to have my own six ft. four hunk of alpha male...who growls at me at the right times, he/he. Haven't had luck finding the right one yet...but I'm on the hunt...

March 18, 2008 at 1:42 AM  
Blogger CrystalGB said...

Great post Sasha. I admire your courage to follow your dreams.

March 18, 2008 at 7:09 AM  
Blogger Tawny Taylor said...

Hi Sasha! HUG!!!!

Wow! All that traveling. I'm so jealous :) I've been to...Ohio. And Florida.

I dream of someday living in a cozy home on a nice plot of land. I'd love to raise my kids in the country. I'm trying to get there, but some dreams (like your real life werewolf hero) are easier to attain than others. We're one step closer than we were a few years ago--we moved from the city to the burbs.

In the meantime, we take trips to the farm to soak up some country-fresh air for a few hours.

March 18, 2008 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger limecello said...

Hi Sasha,
Great post. Thanks for sharing with us. I'll bet you've met all sorts of interesting people and heard a lot of crazy things.
As to my dreams - the most immediate ones would be to graduate and pass the bar. Long term? Be a senator and eventually a romance author :P.
Actually, what I'd most like, is just to be happy and content, wherever I am and whatever I'm doing.

March 18, 2008 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Laura K said...

We would be nothing without our dreams, Sasha. I dream of the ideal job situation, a classroom of respectful children and a district that will appreciate my efforts. Your post made me think, so thanks!

March 18, 2008 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Pamk said...

I dream of traveling around the world. Hopefully i'll get to do this one trip at a time. I been on some nice trip already and now that my kiddos are getting older hopefully I'll get to my dream of hawaii and overseas.

March 19, 2008 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Dreaminginpurple said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM  
Blogger Dreaminginpurple said...

I am a dreamer too. It helps me write. :D

March 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home