...



Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Revision & Change of plans

You know, I've been so busy with revisions lately, that I think I got stuck in a cycle. I almost feel as if I'm on a conveyor-belt loop. Sit down with the lappy, revise, try to get through the whole thing in a week, write down the stats, next! Yep, that's me. I'm starting to feel like a robot.

But you know, writing is so much more than just getting an idea that you fall in love with and spending time getting the story out on paper/screen. That can be the hard bit sometimes, but mostly for me, that's the easier bit. The hard bit comes when I sit down and read the story again after some time away from it. Most of the time, I hate it when I'm working on the second draft, but start to feel the love as I'm moving along. Once I'm working on the third draft, I've fallen in love with it again. Lol. And I start to remember why I sat down to write the darn thing in the first place.

It's such a crazy process, but a great one too. A rollercoaster of hard work and many hours spent behind the computer, or taking notes, or even thinking about it.

Last week I got through the second draft of my NaNo novel. I was quite happy with how it turned out, but on Monday two things that I'd left out just popped into my head. I have no idea why, but hey, there they were. So, that prompted a little extra research. And now I'm driving myself nuts trying to come up with the perfect title... and don't even get me started on the synopsis. :D

Anyway, no matter how much work is involved and how hard that work is, I LOVE writing. With a passion that has enough power to make me feel lost and irritable if I'm not at least thinking about the writing process.

But this week, I've changed the plans. I have to admit, it's not because I intentionally set out to not revise. Real life just happened. So, this week I'm taking a little break from the revision... but will be ready to dive in again next week.

So... what about you? Are you an obsessive writer too? Or can you suppress your muse and the voices inside your head?

PS. Thanks to Moira Reid, who fuelled the idea for this post.

Yolanda
http://www.yolandasfetsos.com/

The Midnight Fantasies print anthology will be available from Whispers Publishing on May 23.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home