...



Saturday, June 14, 2008

Do you VOODOO?



First can I say how excited I am to be here? Thank you all for the warm welcome, i'm looking forward to blogging here.

I apologize for my first post being so late in the day but as it so happens this week I am in deadline hell. The next book in my Pentacles of Magick series is due on Monday and I still have about 9k to go. Needless to say i'm stressing a bit.

This installment is set in New Orleans, a city I have never been too yet I love everything I know about it. I'm fascinated really and hope to get there for a visit sooner rather than later.

This week I added a small role for a Voodoo Priestess and her shop but had to do some research. Sure i've read some basics on voodoo and seen the movie glimpses but that wasn't enough to give this character justice so I found myself hunting the internet for more information.

voodoo

What I found was a font of rich and interesting information with endless possibilities for not only this story but stories of the future. (Voodoo is also well known in Savannah and i'm about the start a new Savannah paranormal series)From the dolls, to Gris Gris bags, to aromatherapy oils there are many simple and complex aspects to Voodoo that go far beyond what we see on TV.

Of course when a few people I know found me looking for information on Voodoo, they told me I should be very afraid and stay away from that. I didn't think that was a very fair assessment but I laughed it off. People who are afraid to explore things they don't know sure miss out on a lot of fun and fascinating things and there's lots of things I like to do or look into that seem to make people squirm. lol

One of my favorite new Voodoo resources is the website New Orleans Voodoo Crossroads

If any of you have ever researched Voodoo I would love to hear what tidbits you have to share or any resources you enjoyed. Or if you have been to New Orleans I would love to hear your impression on the voodoo aspects of New Orleans from a visitors perspective. I am always open to learning as much as I can about a story element. It's important to me to get it right.

Have a good one,

Eliza

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger skirbo said...

I don't have any facts to rattle off the top of my head for you, however, just like any other non-christian religion, Hollywood has bolloxed it all up and called it entertainment. I once did some research out of curiosity and found it to be much like any of the other pagan religions-steeped in tradition, ceremony, great love and beauty and extremely misunderstood.

Thanks for writing this, you've just given me a bit I needed for my pirate novel.

Thanks again!
Sarah

June 15, 2008 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Eliza Gayle said...

well thats awesome Sarah! I love a good pirate story so let me know when its available.

I couldn't agree more about the way its misunderstood.

Eliza

June 15, 2008 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Eliza! Oh, I love New Orleans!! I was over there just a few weeks ago (my first trip post hurricane) and I was caught once again by the strength of the city.

I did some voodoo research for one of my books a while back--truly fascinating stuff!

June 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Hey Eliza! Welcome to the Dark place. ;) It's great to have you here.

Cool post. I also enjoy reading about voodoo and stuff like that. I did a little bit of research some time back, for a zombie tale I wanted to write. :)

BTW, that's one cute voodoo doll.

June 16, 2008 at 3:46 AM  
Blogger Eliza Gayle said...

Hi Cynthia, you're so lucky! I have got to plan a trip soon.

Yolando, thanks for the welcome. I couldn't resist that doll. so funny.

June 21, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home