...



Monday, August 4, 2008

What ever happened to Paranormal Emma?

What ever happened to Paranormal Emma?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. The first story I completed was a contemporary. The second was a paranormal. The third, the fourth, the fifth, the sixth, the seventh, the eighth, ninth, etc all paranormals.

My most recent release? Contemporary. Is there a pattern here? Have I returned to my roots or are there just contemporary stories in me that need to get out. To be honest, I really don't know.

Master of the Game was a challenge to do something I hadn't done in a while. Write a contemp in 3rd person. And I accomplished that goal. So what's stopping me from writing another paranormal? Well, the follow-up book to MotG needs to written. And that of course is a contemp. So once that's done will I go back to my tried and true paranormals? Ummm...No, because I'm in the middle of yet another contemporary.

At first I was worried because I was no longer Emma, Paranormal girl. There were no more dragons, vampires, and werewolves. Just little old human beings with human being problem. Is it weird that that is scarier than all the werewolves, vampires and dragons I wrote? In some of my stories, I waved a wand and blamo problems solves, hero gets heroine, and they both got HEA.

But with contemps, for me, the rules are different. For example, in Master of the Game, Erin was truly embarrassed by her actions. Not only had she had sex with a stranger, she had sex with a stranger almost young enough to be her son. (Not that having sex with strangers is wrong or right. Whatever we chose as adults are what we choose and our business. Okay shut it, Emma and get back on track.) There was no magic wand to solve this chicks hang ups. She like me and you (maybe) have to work through our hang ups. And that was the most frightening part about getting caught up with contemps again. It's super easy to hide behind ghouls and vamps but it was so much harder to write things that could have or can happen to me.

So you'd think I'd be more than happy to get back to being Paranormal girl again? Yeah, well I'm learning fear is a strong motivator. I may be afraid of putting myself out there but I do it anyway.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia Eden said...

Ah, Emma, I think fear is a great motivator, too!!! Good luck with your contemps!

August 4, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home