...



Thursday, March 5, 2009

Body Image - Curves are the new skinny?

I put up this post on my personal blog yesterday about body image and thought I would share it here.

These women are only part of the reason that curves are 'In'. But I wonder what caused the transition from "stick is it" to "curves galore"?

But here are two women who command the red carpet when they walk down it - Beyonce and Shakira. Others are Jennifer Lopez, Halle Berry and Gabrielle Union. I used to include Angelina Jolie in that category but for some reason she's almost down to twig size. Now is anything wrong with being really thin? Nope. But for a good long while the media made those of us with curves feel as if we were big fat unattractive blobs who should be running to Weight Watchers to get rid of our hips.

And what really gets me is that when someone else (Hollywood? TV? Who?) decided that hips were in, suddenly folks were running to the butt surgeon to have fat pumped into everything from the lips to their backsides. I for one don't allow anyone to label me or tell me how I should look, act or feel. They can all kiss my big 'ole...well, you know ;D

My grandma used to say, "Baby, as long as you're living in the beautiful skin of yours, that booty ain't going nowhere." And the woman was right, thank the stars. Those words stuck with me while I was growing up and because of my gran-gran, I learned a long time ago to accept my hips, my lips and all the rest as perfect. Besides, I could slim down to "knock me over by the next stiff breeze" proportions and my ass would still be the biggest thing on my body! Everything on me is where it's supposed to be (even if it's beginning to head South now ;D).

Watch this video and tell me what you think. Hips don't lie and these women look FABULOUS, big booties and all! (Ignore the commercial. Damned Yahoo.)


Beyonce and Shakira Dancing Together
Click HERE if you can't see the embedded video


Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

I agree. Curves are good. :)

March 18, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home