...



Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Backup & NaNoWriMo

Phew! What a week I've had so far. My gosh! If you read my post last week, you'd know that I had it all figured out. Yeah. Right.

I had every intention of sitting down with my laptop on Monday afternoon so I could get started on my NaNo novel. But my USB drive had something else in mind. You see, I carried this 2GB drive with me everywhere. It's got all my writing stuff - whether currently in-progess, or already published. It's got everything and a little more.

When I stuck it into the laptop, I got a bunch of incoherent type. And when I clicked on any of the folders, it claimed they no longer existed. I was thinking, WTF? I still have no idea what the hell happened. But it did. And as a result, I've lost the first chapter of a new novel and novella idea I wrote during the last few weeks. One second it was there, now it's gone. All I can do is write down what I can remember and start again. Not something I prefer to do, but since the original versions are gone, there's no other choice.

So, during the last two days I've been updating everything in four different places - two 1GB USB drives, the laptop and the main family computer. Whenever I update anything, it takes twice as long to synchronize everything. I don't care, though. At least now there are several places for me to refer to in case something insane like this ever happens again. :/

Remember: always BACKUP everything you write!

I've also been working on edits and got through the three required rounds during the last few days. Now it's done. And I can put all my concentration into working on my NaNo first draft...

Are you taking part in NaNo this year?

Yolanda
http://www.yolandasfetsos.com/

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger SaturnMoonie said...

I am, but I'm off to a bit of a slow start. Only have about 4000 words, and I know I have to pick up the pace. I just have too many distractoins, and I'm the queen of procrastination. If only someone would lock me up in a room with no electronics (cept the laptop) no windows, and no internet, I should be good. Hehe.

I'm actually supposed to be working on my NaNo now, but look what I'm doing instead.

November 5, 2008 at 5:21 AM  
Blogger Caffey said...

Hi Yolanda!
Thanks for the reminder! I keep my ebooks on a portable hard drive. Makes me wonder if I should back that up! I have to check how to do that!

As I'm just a reader, I'm not doing the NaNo, but love hearing about how this is going! I bet that when the characters come to you more, the story will as well! I missed what you are writing on? (Genre, theme) or you don't share that? This your first time doing it?

I thought I'd be reading but I had to catch up on emails! I've been off alot lately (health) so I hope to see you at chat Friday!

November 6, 2008 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Saturnmoonie, I know exactly what you mean about the distractions! I'm with you on that one. November seems to be a muddled up month for me. I think it's because we're so close to the end of the year.

Good luck with your story!


Hey Caffey! Thanks for popping in. Yep, it's very important to have all your files backed up - no matter if it's reading or writing material. :)

November 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home